The functions of water in equine permaculture are:
- the role she plays
- and the services it provides,
- determined by its properties and characteristics.
- As with each component of the system, we will seek, for each water resource, to make it perform several functions, and each of these functions must be fulfilled by several components: this is the guarantee of sustainability.
- In addition, we will try to ensure that each liter leaving the site is cleaner than when entering the site.
The 8 categories of water functions
The biological functions of water
- l’eau est un constituant de la matière vivante : elle représente environ 70 % de la masse des êtres vivants,
- in addition, it is a vector of internal and external exchanges:
- at tree level, water is absorbed by the rootlets, and at the other end of the chain we find cuticular sweating and transpiration stomatique,
- au niveau de la cellule la membrane plasmique permet le passage de l’eau,
- well, it is food.
The ecological functions of water
L’eau est le constituant du biotope aquatique.
It is a place of biodiversity, of life, of reproduction.
The thermal functions of water
Water is a heat transfer fluid, and a thermoregulatory agent as we saw in the article on thermoregulation of the horse.
The water surfaces of a site have a “buffer” effect that creates microclimates.
The chemical functions of water
Water is a component (hydrating), solvent, reactive or catalytic vis-à-vis many substances.
The optical functions of water
Water is a transparent or reflective medium, a conductor of light, which creates microclimates.
The hydraulic functions of water
It is essential to distinguish between the quantity in a soil and its availability in it.
There are 3 different types of water in the soil:
- to begin :gravitational water : available, it flows through the ground by gravity.
- then,capillary water : it is an available water on which capillary forces are exerted.
- Finallyhygroscopic water which is unavailable water, since it enters into the very constitution of the soil.
Soil water fulfills 6 functions:
- vector (by its flow) of transport (of matter, energy),
- energy conservator and transformer,
- mechanical stress transmission agent,
The symbolic functions of water
Water can have different meanings in the socio-cultural context: symbol of purity, fertility.
The functions of water amenity
Water is a source of pleasure: aesthetics, games, sport ...